Gone were the days when we are satisfied with the memory of a floppy disk. When I was in elementary I used to have those floppy disks to store my important files for my class. And I was satisfied with it. Years passed, we started to have 1 GB, 2GB, 4GB flash drives. Now, we even have external hard drives. It started with 500 GB, 1TB. Now we even have 2TB and even 3TB! (Check the price of WD My Passport external hard drives here: https://thelifestyleavenue.com/wd-my-passport-now-up-to-3-tb/) Even desktop hard drives improved. The latest now is even 6TB!
Maybe for some, they think we can never use up all of these memory. But as a blogger, I disagree. I use to have a laptop with a really old model. It has a very low memory capacity. I told myself I’m going to have to purchase an external hard drive to transfer all of the photos I took during events, etc. and files. But I never got to purchase one. Now, all of my treasured photos and files were gone. Imagine the heartbreak I felt. Just because I don’t have a drive where I can store all of those files, all those years of memories were gone. This is where I decided, its enough. I need enough capacity. Now, I have a WD My Passport for Mac with 2TB.
- System Compatibility
- Formatted HFS+ J for Mac OS X Yosemite, Mavericks or Mountain Lion (I tried it on Lion and Snow Leopard, its still compatible.)
- Compatible with Apple Time Machine (Say goodbye to losing your files in Mac, everything is backed up with no hassle.)
- Requires reformatting for Windows OS (It only takes around 5 clicks to reformat your passport. Macbook has a pre-installed “Disk Utility” which you can use to reformat your passport.)
- 1 TB
- 2 TB
- 3 TB
- USB 3.0 (Up to 5GB/s)
- USB 2.0 (Up to 480 MB/s
- Dimensions (H x D x W): 4.33in x 0.62in x 3.21in (110mm x 15.84mm x 81.6mm)
- 3TB – 0.50lb (0.23kg)
- 2TB – 0.50lb (0.23kg)
- 1TB – 0.34lb (0.16kg)
- Operating Temperature: 5ºC to 35ºC
- Non-operating Temperature: -20ºC to 65ºC
- Warranty – Up to 3 years.
- WD My Passport for Mac
- USB 3.0 cable
- WD Security
- WD Drive Utilities
- Quick Install Guide
- Technical Support and Limited Warranty Guide
- Other features:
- WD Security. It offers 256-bit hardware encryption that will help you secure your files. You can also opt to set a password.
The WD My Passport for Mac looks classy. The design would really look good when you pair it with your Macbook. It has a textured aluminum finish along the sides and the bottom. On the top, its color is black with the branding “WD My Passport for Mac.” It has a USB 3.0 port and LED indicator on the side. At the bottom of the device, you will again see the branding, the product number and serial number and other product information. For the design, I’m giving the WD My Passport a 5 out of 5 stars.
Speed and Performance
I tested the WD My Passport on my Macbook 2006. I used Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and Xbench to test the read and write speed. These two third party apps are the most commonly used apps to test the speed of external and flash drives in Mac.
You can use it right away. No set up needed. My Macbook runs uses USB 2.0 interface. Below are the results.
Say goodbye to waiting forever just to copy a movie file! You can now copy and back up large files to your external drive in just a few minutes! For the speed and performance, I’m giving WD My Passport for Mac a score of 5 out 5 stars.
Once you plug it in on your Mac, you would get a prompt if you want to use the drive for your Apple Time Machine back up. You can use your WD My Passport for Mac right away. No set up needed. But if you want install the WD Utilities, the set up is quick and easy.
Just head on the Finder and you will find preinstalled files. Below are the screenshots.
This My WD My Passport for Mac 7th generation which was released around May 27, 2015 is a must-have for all Macbook users. With its speed, design, and security, My Passport is surely one of the best in the market. The price is quite reasonable and much affordable than the others. (Check the price here: https://thelifestyleavenue.com/wd-my-passport-now-up-to-3-tb/) Whether you have an old or new Macbook, or even if not, (will need reformatting) it will still work for you and it can still offer you an impressive performance. Mac user or not, this is certainly the external hard disk drive for you.
- Classy design and sturdy construction. (The built and construction is better than the WD My Passport Ultra.)
- Great speed performance.
- Lower cost than the others.
- Textured Aluminum Finish (Looks really great to pair with Macbook.)
- No other colors unlike the WD My Passport Ultra.
Overall, WD My Passport for Mac (7th Generation) scored a total of 5 out 5 stars. The Lifestyle Avenue HIGHLY RECOMMENDS WD My Passport for Mac.
Do you own a WD My Passport for Mac? How was your experience? What do you think about its performance? Share them in the comments!